Monday 3 May 2010

Meet the resident

Prash Mavendorf is the latest victim, I mean subject, of the LOL! interrogation.

Avatar name: Prash Mavendorf

Rezzday: 9th June 2008

Are you a student, tutor or both? Just a mere student.

How long have you been with the OU? Since Feb 2001.

Which degree are you aiming for? I completed my Undergraduate degree with Honours with the Open University in 2005, took a few years off (by doing some odd courses here and there) and am now working towards my Masters.

Favourite course so far: Hard to say really as I have so many. MT262 and M361 stand out the most because the course Chair was fantastic.

What brought you to Second Life? I can't remember the exact reason. I think I was introduced to Second Life by someone in OUSA. I love the idea of being able to interact with people in real time in a relaxed environment. I explored Second Life and got myself a bit lost and ended up in a few Country & Western / Rock Clubs to start off with.

Favourite part of the Open Life islands: The Circle outside the nOUbie Centre. It's a great place to meet people on an nightly basis. Great place to meet new students and visitors wanting to find out what we do as students and a University.

Best memory from your time on Open Life: Meeting the regulars and having a laugh (sometimes at my expense!). Making new friends (Squiddlenuts and PDunstan in particular) and meeting new people.

Favourite SL place away from Open Life: It use to be Oasis Outlaws and Utopia / Ravens Court. It use to be a great club when it was active, but now I hang around the nOUbie Centre on most evenings. I have a place in the Jaeger Region (run by Linden Labs). It's my home away from the OU! If you are able to find The Dog House, feel free to have a look at it from the outside and zoom into the building.

One piece of advice for newbies: There's quite of few I can think of. Learn how to use the Basics of Second Life, fly around, navigate, etc. Don't be scared to ask questions, we were all new once and we are always learning new things. No question is too stupid to ask. Treat people on Second Life as you would expect people to treat you in Real Life. If you show no respect, people won't respect you. Make plenty of friends on Second Life. You never know when you will rely on them later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment